Everything You Need To Know About Cardiac – Low EF 20%
Ejection fraction or EF is just a measurement that is used by all the physicians to determine whether your heart is functioning well enough or not. The EF is primarily the % of the blood that gets pumped out by the heart during each of the beat. Its usually said ejection because the blood gets pumped out of the heart and the term fraction is used as even after each heartbeat some amount of healthy blood stays inside your heart. EF is the main indicator of the health of one’s heart.
What is Cardiac – Low EF 20%?
A low Ef is a disease and suggests that the heart is facing problems to pump the blood. Many times this might be one of the associated symbols of heart failure. A low Ef of about 20% can also be linked with an irregular heart rhythm which is also highly dangerous. The normal EF should stay between 50-70% so if someone is suffering from cardiac-low EF 20% then it is a serious condition that needs to be treated as soon as possible. Lowering of EF beyond 20% can even cause the death of the person involved.
Sign and Symptoms of Cardiac – Low EF 20%
The symptoms of the deadly condition of having a low EF-20% can be listed as follows –
• Swelling of the lower legs and the feet
• The inability of a person to exercise or shortness of breath, the patients also feel Weakness and high fatigue always.
• Irregular heartbeat which is sometimes forceful, rapid and even uncomfortable.
• Discomfort in the abdominal regions such as pain, swelling or nausea
• Mental confusion of people suffering from it.
• Due to pulmonary congestion, one might hear a cracking sound in the fluid of the lungs. Sometimes due to the disorder of the heart valve patients can also hear abnormal heart murmurs.
• Enlargement of the heart or hypertrophy is another symptom of this condition. Kidney or the liver might start to malfunction.
• A swollen neck, lungs might also get the congested and abnormal rhythm of the heart.
• Swelling of the ankle accompanied by weight gain and fluid retention.
These are some of the grave symptoms of this disease. If you feel any one of these immediately consult a doctor to get the treatment and surgery done without any delay.
Treatment of the disease
For low Ef of about 20%, there is a medical device which is called as the cardiac defibrillator (ICD) can be of much help to improve the conditions. The ICD is just like a pacemaker that can treat ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation to prevent any sudden cardiac arrest due to the low EF of 20%. It is always better to go for ICD’s as the survival chance is better than taking normal medicine; once the surgery is done then that person can lead a normal life. Ventricular assist device or (VAD’s) can also be used to pump` the blood for patients having very low EF. To be precise, visiting a doctor on-time is indeed necessary.
Some of the medications that can be given to treat the lower EF are things like inotropes which reduces the symptoms observed and makes the heart contract even more rapidly. Other medicines are the beta blockers and angiotensin II receptor blockers that can be used.
Thus, having a low EF 20% is a serious medical condition and if the symptoms are observed then surgery should be done immediately implant an ICD or VAD. People with Low EF should also maintain a healthy diet to avoid this condition from arising again.